keep the toxins away!
Homeopathic remedies were first advocated by the German physician Samuel Hahnemann in the 18th century. He discovered the most important concept, the law of similars. He was at first skeptical of homeopathy, so he tried it on himself.
Hahnemann found that ingesting the bark of Cinchona was similar
to the symptoms of malaria. He figured that the cure proceeds through similarity, and that treatments must be able to produce symptoms in healthy subjects similar to those of the disease being treated. Therefore he concluded that the artificial symptoms forced the body to neutralize and expel the disease.
The other principle is an extremely diluted form of a single homeopathic remedy. He believed that diseases have spiritual and physical causes. Hahnemann promoted lifestyle improvements of exercise, diet and cleanliness.
"The Organon of the Healing Art"
is still the one that we are using today.
Success in treating people suffering from infectious disease epidemics gave homeopathy its popularity. Death rates were lower than conventional treatments.Traditional medical treatments were harmful and did little or nothing to combat infectious disease epidemics.
In the 1970's, Greek Homeopath George Vithoulkas did a lot more research and updated scenarios on homeopathic remedies, it was revived worldwide.
Remedy is a technical term used to refer to substances prepared to treat specific symptoms. There are 3000 different remedies used today.
Some natural alternative homeopathic remedies which are similar to conventional and potentially toxic chemical products...
Non toxic pest repellents:
Pyrethrum - A mixture of natural insecticidal compounds. Found in certain types of African chrysanthemums. Can help control aphids, white flies, stinkbugs and mites.
Neem - Seeds and leaves of azadirachta indica (native tree of India).The compounds it contains act as insect repellent. It is non toxic to humans and animals and beneficial to bees.
Non toxic Cleaners:
Baking soda - All purpose cleaner
Effective on glass, red wine stains, tea stains. A paste made from baking soda and water cleans stainless steel and silver. Castile or vegetable based liquid soap and a drop of essential oil (tea tree or lavender) cleans sinks, counter tops, toilets and tubs.
Lemon juice - Bleaching agent on clothing, removes grease from the stove and counter tops. Mix 2 tablespoons of lemon juice or 10 drops of (real) lemon oil and a few drops of jojoba oil to clean and polish wood.
White vinegar - Cleans linoleum floors and glass (from windows to showers) when mixed with water and a little liquid soap (castile or vegetable). Cuts grease and removes stains, soap scum, cleans toilets (you can add baking soda). Put in drains once a week for antibacterial cleaning. Kills mold and mildew (add water in a spray bottle).
Nature Sunshine Products
Silver Shield (anti-bacterial,anti-fungal,antiseptic,anti-viral, anti-parasitic and immune stimulant)
* Freshens clothes
* Neutralizes shoe odor
* Disinfects cutting boards and counter tops
* Cleans your toothbrush
Lemon, Peppermint, Tea Tree and other oils. If applied to the skin, dilute with massage oil to prevent irritation.
Nature's Fresh (deodorizer and stain remover).
* Widely tested deodorizer utilizes a special formulation of enzymes gleaned from plant sources. These enzymes work as deodorizers and break down molecular structure of stains without harming fabric. Hypoallergenic, unscented, non-irritating and environmentally safe. Good for cleaning jewelry.
* Spray a mixture of Goldenseal tincture and Nature's Fresh onto your back to reduce pain and inflammation from spinal disk damage.
* Deodorizing odor: A mixture of Nature's Fresh and lemon oil.
* Arm deodorizing: Nature's Fresh, Silver Shield, lemon oil and water.
* Black mold on shower grout is not good for your lungs and asthma sufferers. Use 8 oz. Nature's Fresh, 2 tablespoons Xylitol (sugar), and 10 drops of lemon oil. Keep applying for a short time after the mold is gone. (Xylitol is a naturally occurring sugar that inhibits mold and bacteria.)
Natures Sunshine Concentrate
General purpose cleaning concentrate. No polluting phosphates, borates or nitrates. A great homeopathic remedy base.
Excellent to use on:
* Appliances, dishwashers, ovens, dishes, glasses, silverware, copper, brass, pots, and pans.
* Walls, wallpaper, floors, tile, carpet, wood, woodwork, windows, and mirrors.
* Bathroom fixtures, trash containers, grills, pool filters, battery terminals, grease on driveway, cars, boats, buildup in irons, and humidifiers.
* Prevents dust buildup, clean houseplant leaves, aquariums, and pet cages.
* Removes sprays, wax and pesticides from fruits and vegetables (they'll last longer!).
* Laundry - removes ink, chocolate, lipstick, grease, and shoe polish stains. Great for hand washables, silks and woolens.
* Anti bacterial soap- Nature Sunshine Cleaner concentrate, Silver Shield, and lemon oil. Add jojoba oil for a Body wash. It has a 6.5 ph balance.
To disinfect the dishwasher, run empty with 4 oz Nature's Fresh, 4 oz distilled vinegar and 10 lemon oil drops. Run the dishwasher through its entire cycle.
I use vinegar to run through the empty washing machine.
Natural fly paper: yellow color paper, honey and lemon oil.
I use Peppermint oil as a homeopathic remedy for ants, spiders and insects (Children under 6 years old have a high rate of leukemia because of pesticides).
Air out dry cleaning to release chemicals.
I love to clean and disinfect my floors with 2 capfuls of Nature Sunshine Concentrate, 10 drops of thyme, 7 drops rosemary and 15 drops bergamot essential oil with 2 gallons water.
Master Herbalist Larissa Jones wrote a great reference of ridding your home of harmful chemicals entitled
"Is Your Home Safe?"
Below is a list of cleaning products along with hazardous substances and possible health effects excerpted from her book. Homeopathic remedies follow each product.
Cleaning Product / Hazardous Substance / Possible health effects / Natural Products
* Air fresheners / Phenol, cresol,xylene, formaldehyde / irritate lungs and eyes, deactivate nerve endings and interfere with sense of smell, attack the liver, spleen and pancreas / Essential oils, diffuser, scent ball, ventilation.
* Antiseptic / Chlorine, phenol, cresol, formaldehyde, ammonia / skin, eye and lung irritation, potential damage to kidney, liver, spleen, pancreas. Formaldehyde is carcinogenic / Essential oils and sunshine concentrate.
* Basin, tub, and tile cleaners / detergents, artificial fragrance,chlorine / eye, skin and throat irritation / baking soda and vinegar, essential oils.
*Bleach, Clorox / chlorine / causes severe eye and lung irritation, toxic both through skin absorption and by inhalation / lemon juice, hydrogen peroxide.
Cleaners, household and all-purpose / ammonia, detergents, artificial fragrance, propellants / skin and eye irritations, respiratory irritations / baking soda, vinegar, castile soap, essential oils, salt.
* Deodorizers / chlorine, phenol, cresol, formaldehyde, ammonia / skin, eye and lung irritation, potential damage to kidney, liver, spleen, and pancreas / essential oils, sunshine concentrate.
* Disinfectants / Cresol, phenol, formaldehyde / May cause central nervous system damage leading to irritability, depression, hyper-activity / Essential oils, Vinegar and baking soda.
* Dry Cleaning / Perchloroethylene / Cause eye irritation, dizziness, nausea, tremors, liver and CNS damage, cancer / Castile soap, Sunshine Concentrate.
* Laundry detergents / Phosphate / May irritate the skin. Estrogenic properties / Castile soap, Sunshine Concentrate, Baking soda, Borax, White Vinegar.
* Pesticides / Many / Carcinogenic, cause damage to the kidneys and liver, may cause CNS system damage, may be hormone disruptors / Essential oils and Sunshine Concentrate.
* Spot Removers / Perchloroethylene / Cause eye irritation, dizziness, nausea, tremors, liver and CNS damage, cancer / Nature’s fresh, salt, club soda.
* Window cleaner / Ammonia, Blue dye / Irritation fumes. Can cause skin and eye damage / water, vinegar, and newspaper.
Some more information from Larissa Jones' book:
The Consumer Products Safety Commission had determined that more than 150 chemicals found in ordinary household products are directly responsible for producing cancer, allergies, birth defects, and numerous psychological disorders.
Some 80% of people’s exposure to chemicals occurs in the home. A five year study completed by the EPA concluded that many homes had chemical levels 70 times higher than that of outside air. They also reported that cleaning and personal care products commonly found in the home are three times more likely to cause cancer than outdoor air pollution.
A paper presented at the Indoor Air Conference in 1990 in Vancouver concluded that due to increased exposure to household carcinogens, housewives have a 55% greater risk of developing cancer than women who work outside of the home
It appears that pesticide concentration inside the home is greater than can be explained by in-home pesticide use, suggesting that pesticides are may be carried in from outdoors, where they collect and remain on household surfaces such as carpets and counter tops. Of particular concern are products used on lawns and gardens.
There is a wealth of information and books about making your own products such as "
Clean House,Clean Planet- Clean your House for Pennies a Day- The Safe and Nontoxic Way
" by Karen Logan.
Homeopathic Remedies are holistic. It treats all symptoms as one. They are not addictive and once relief is felt just stop taking them. It works in harmony with your immune system and is completely safe with no dangerous side effects.
I update Nutrition-Health-Supplements.com frequently, so please subscribe to my monthly newsletter, All About Feeling Good. It tells you each month about the new information that I have added,
including timely and informative knowledge on current health issues such as H1N1 Swine Flu.
Return from Homeopathic Remedies to Nutrition Health Supplements